Skip to main content

Week 1 - Introduction


Hello everyone! My name is Toni, and I’m thrilled to share a little about my journey into the world of Information Technology. After dedicating 15 years to managing operations at a major retail company, I realized it was time for a new direction. So, I made the decision to go back to school to pursue a career in tech. Fortunately, my employer is fully supportive of my educational pursuits, covering the entire cost of my degree!

Initially, I thought about earning a business degree since my management background already showcases my skills in that area. However, I found myself increasingly drawn to a different field, Information Technology. I want to expand my technical skills and open doors to new opportunities within the tech industry.

One aspect I truly enjoy about this new path is my love for reading and lifelong learning. I spend time exploring books and articles on topics like computer networks, cybersecurity, and troubleshooting strategies. My goal is to gain a deeper understanding of how networks function so I can troubleshoot issues more effectively. I find real satisfaction in solving technical problems and sharing my solutions with others, whether through writing guides, engaging in online forums, or assisting colleagues. This curiosity and eagerness to learn more about computer networks fuel my motivation every day as I work toward building a successful future in IT.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 - Understanding Routers

Understanding Routers Your Guide to a Faster, Smarter Internet If you’ve ever wondered how your internet gets from the modem to your laptop or smartphone, chances are, a router is involved. But what exactly is a router, and why is it so important? Let’s break it down in simple terms. What Is a Router? Think of a router as the traffic cop of your home network. Its job is to take the internet signal coming from your modem (the device that connects you to your internet service provider) and direct it to all your devices, like your phone, tablet, smart TV, or gaming console. It also manages the data coming back from these devices and sends it out to the internet. In short, without a router, your devices wouldn’t know how to talk to each other or access the internet efficiently. Why Do You Need a Good Router? Not all routers are created equal. The quality and features of your router can affect how fast your internet feels, how many devices can connect at once, and how secure your network is...

Week 8 - Understanding Network Segmentation

Understanding Network Segmentation Making Your Digital World Safer and Smarter Hey there! Today, I want to talk about something that might sound fancy but is pretty simple: network segmentation. Think of it like dividing your house into different rooms. Each room has a purpose, and you can lock certain doors so only specific people can enter. That’s pretty much what network segmentation does for your digital world. What is Network Segmentation? In plain English, network segmentation breaks up a big computer network into smaller, separate parts. Instead of everyone being on one big network, you create zones or sections. For example, your work devices, personal devices, and sensitive data like bank info or company secrets all get their little “zones.” If someone sneaks into one part, they can’t just wander freely everywhere. Why Is It Important?  The main reason for using network segmentation is security. Imagine a hacker entering your “living room” (a less important part of your net...